Friday, April 08, 2005

Food Related Stuff

I got Marcella Hazen's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking from the library, and I've been trying some of the recipes. Sunday, I made what is apparantly the most famous recipe in the book, the roast chicken. The strength of this recipe is in its simplicity: you take two lemons, poke a few holes in them, stuff them inside a chicken, and cook it. That's it (well, a little salt and pepper). It turns out incredibly moist and juicy, the moisture from the lemons keeping it from drying out. Monday, I made one of the pasta sauces. I'm going to try a different sauce every week. I made fussilli with riccotta, bacon and peas sauce. You're supposed to pour off most of the bacon grease, and retain 2 tablespoons, but I don't think I retained enough, and you can't unpour that shit once you pour it out. Turned out OK, but probably could have been better.

Saturday, prior to our previously mentioned visit to the Museum of Jurassic Technology, we ate at Baby Blues BBQ in Venice. Nice little sit-down place with loud blues music playing (I would have preferred more John Lee Hooker, less Stevie Ray Vaughn, but not bad). Bobbie got a pulled pork sandwich, I got Memphis style ribs. Ribs were good, probably too fatty, but with a nice, peppery crust. Pork sandwich was excellent, served on a good, crusty roll that may have come from LaBrea Bakery. The roll was a point of contention, with Bobbie, a purist, arguing that it was only proper to serve BBQ on soft, white Wonderbread rolls, while I countered that the good french bread elevated the BBQ. Three sauces: a mild, tomato-based sauce; a spicy red vinegar sauce, very authentic to the North Carolina style; and an extra-spicy, vinegar-y sauce that was just delicious. Coleslaw was good, crisp and creamy. Baked beans were a nice medly of southwest beans (the item listed on the menu as "Pork and Beans" was probably closer to what I was looking for, but it was all too much for me to eat anyway). Definitely better than Zeke's, Robin's or Dr. Hogly Wogly's, which is about the extent of my L.A. BBQ experience. I'll probably try Phillip's in the coming weeks.

Random Stuff:

Jonathan Gold examines hot chocolate in L.A.

A lengthy post at Tiki Central regarding Frances Langford's Outrigger Restaurant, a landmark from my hometown. I never actually ate there, but I remember driving past it often, and seeing Langford's gigantic yacht parked in the adjoining marina. Nearby Langford Park was a big part of my childhood, where I played T-Ball and hung out on the playground throughour my youth.

Belatedly, R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg. He was one of those comics that you either loved or hated or thought was allright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home