Friday, May 06, 2005

Currently Checked Out From The Library

From the Glendale Brand Art Center:

Brand Nubian: In God We Trust
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live at Winterland
The Best of the Runaways
Los Lobos: How Will The Wolf Survive?
Rough Guide to the Music of Jamaica
Rough Guide to Mali & Guinea
Caribbean Voyage - Martinique (1962 Field Recordings)
Ethiopiques Vol. 5
Rhythms of Resistance - Music of Black South Africa
Juke Joint Jump - A Boogie Woogie Celebration
Cowboy Songs, Ballads & Cattle Calls from Texas (Library of Congress Field Recordings)
Slayer: Seasons in the Abyss
The Spike Jones Story (VHS)

From the Los Angeles Library:
Legends of Texas Barbecue by Robb Walsh
The Great Tiki Drink Book by Jennifer Trainer Thompson

When I went to the Eagle Rock branch to pick up my holds, they had a box sitting out there marked "Free Books." I looked through it, and there were some surprisingly interesting books in there. I almost took something called The Raw and The Cooked, just for the curiosity of it: who would have thought that Neneh Cherry named her album after a book on the philosophy of mythologism (or something)? Oh, wait, just looked it up, it was Fine Young Cannibals. Anyway, lots of interesting-looking books, but nothing that I thought I would actually read. But then I found The Moons of Paradise: Reflections on the Breast in Art by Mervyn Levy. I probably won't read it cover-to-cover, but it should be good for a light read.

They only had one of my holds, so I had to go back today, which was fine, because the Friday Farmer's Market is set up right in front of the Library. Got some of the amazing strawberries, some really fresh asparagus, and a big, fresh, Maui onion with the greens intact. This thing was unbelievably fragrant. When I got home, I was just making dinner for myself, so I made some penne with the rosemary sauce from the Hazen book, my first real success with one of her recipes. Damn, this sauce is incredible. It's faux-meat sauce, meant to imitate the taste of pasta tossed with the drippings of a roast, by cooking a crushed bullion cube and some garlic and rosemary in some butter. It makes what is basically butter and pasta taste incredibly rich. I didn't exactly follow the recipe, freestylin' with the onion (because it was so good, I had to use it), but man...I'll be making that again. I should cook with rosemary more often, it's good stuff, and lifted up by garlic, onion and good butter...damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home