Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Little Dreamer

There's this guitar riff that's been stuck in my head for a few weeks now. I've been having the damnedest time trying to figure out where it came from, but it just hit me. It's the beginning of "Little Dreamer," the wimpiest song from the first Van Halen album, the one wherein David Lee Roth gives us a glimpse into his sensitive soul, and the obnoxious rebel reveals his heart of gold. I haven't listened to that song in ages, and I have no idea how it got into my head, but it's easy to see why I couldn't remember it. I always think of the song as a sappy ballad, which it is, but that guitar riff is an excellent piece of swaggering, nasty funk rock. I could totally see it being used as a cue in a film soundtrack, say as a car screeches to a halt and we see a leather boot belonging to the badass hero or villain emerge. It's actually a shame that it got grafted onto such a dorky song. Although, I'm sure that within a month I'll be posting about how I went back and listened to it, and it's A GODDMANED MASTERPIECE!!! That seems to be the way these things work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home