Friday, May 20, 2005

Next Year's TV Season

Now that the schedule for next year is out, my first thought is actually rather surprising: I'm so glad I have an excuse to stop watching Lost. Sorry, I like the show and all, but Veronica Mars trumps it any day. I like Lost on about the same level as 24 and CSI, but it's more like the former than the latter, because you have to be fucking COMMITTED to it to know what's going on. So it seems I'm off the hook.

Secondly, how fucked up is it that the one really promising show, The Unit (written by David Mamet and one of The Shield's writers, starring Dennis Haysbert, Amy Acker and the T-2000) gets shoved to midseason? That is some lame-ass shit.

Further prediction: Fathom will be next year's Lost. I have no interest in the Nightstalker reimagining. And I'm really annoyed in general by the lineup next year. I was so happy having all my shows grouped together on the same nights, leaving other nights open for movie-watching or other pursuits. Moving Arrested Development to Mondays leaves me completely uninterested in Fox's Sunday night lineup, beyond King of the Hill. This annoys me, because Sunday is just such a good night to watch TV, and when you could go from Ebert & Roeper to the Fox sitcoms to the HBO drama, and stay tuned for Adult Swim if you were hardy enough, it was perfect. Word is that when Six Feet Under returns for its final season, it will be moved to Monday too, which just makes no damn sense. Anyway, my shows:

Monday, Arrested Developement at 8, then either stay tuned for Kitchen Confidential just because Xander is in it, or (more likely), over to CBS for How I Met Your Mother, just because Willow is in it. How sad to have to choose between Xander and Willow! Unless one of them turns out to be a good show, but that's really doubtful.

Tuesday, The Gilmore Girls at 8.

Wednesday, Veronica Mars. Despite my comments to the contrary, I really with one of those two shows were moved to 8 instead of 9. Really, I wish VM just stayed on Tuesday, where it belongs, paired with Gilmore Girls (all the great Buffy-esque shows on Buffy night).

Aside from CSI (and POSSIBLY Everybody Hates Chris) on Thursday, there's really nothing else on the networks I'm remotely interested in. There is, of course, Dinner for Five, Daily Show, Bill Maher, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc.

Yeah, I think I'm going to need to get tivo over the summer, to liberate me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home