Wednesday, June 01, 2005

How I spent my weekend

Friday was my Day of Retail Excess. For lunch, I went to Cafe Tropicale in Silverlake and got a Cubano sandwich. I'll devote another post to that. From there, I hit Amoeba records. I was planning on then heading up to Burbank and working my way through that strip on San Fernando just south of Media Center where there's about half-a-dozen used bookstores, but it's amazing how quickly you can burn through a hundred bucks at Amoeba. I got La Dolce Vita on DVD, and a cheap, used copy of The Beastie Boys DVD Anthology. I picked up the new Common CD, and the first Ultramagnetic MCs. They also had some really cheap copies of License to Ill, so I got one for Bobbie for her birthday present (so she can put it on her iPod Shuffle, since the copy I have is on vinyl). So I skipped the Burbank strip, but I did go by Brand Library. For some reason, I got a bunch of Classic Rock CDs: The Who Live at Leeds, Van Halen's Women and Children First, KISS Alive (I probably wouldn't have picked that up under any other conditions--I have it on vinyl--but it seemed like a good idea to listen to that on my birthday), greatest hits albums of Mott the Hoople and Sir Douglas Quintet. But I also got vol. 2 and 3 of Howlin' Wolf's Chess Box, a collection of Albert King, and the Bobby Digital CD.

Stephen gave me a couple DVDs as birthday presents, which was nice. He gave me Ronin and the Criterion Seven Samurai. Good kid, already thinking in terms of double-features. Bobbie gave me a can of Macadamia Nuts (which maybe doesn't sound like a big deal, but they're one of my favorite things, but they cost like $8 for a tiny jar, so it's really quite special). I also won an ebay bid for a December 1968 Playboy (Cynthia Myer centerfold, and an interview with Eldridge Cleaver). When Bobbie came home, we walked to the Farmer's Market, and I got a new basil plant for the kitchen (I killed mine a while back), and some really good cherries and banana bread. Oh yeah, and some limes. Came home and mixed a strong drink of orange, pineapple and grapefruit juice with a banana, fresh-squeezed lemon (from the tree in the front yard) and lime juice, white and gold rum, and crushed ice in the blender.

I never got to watch those DVDs--my player broke down. It's just perpetually "loading" now. It's not very old either--maybe 6 months. I may take this opportunity to go region-free.

Most of the rest of the weekend was spent being productive, yet I still feel like there's tons of stuff I haven't done. Completely cleaned the house and backyard, in preparation for the party next week, and did alot of work preparing things for Bobbie's website. Stayed busy until about 3 O'clock Monday, at which point it was...BBQ time! I got one of those Trader Joe's BBQ Tri-Tips, a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mostly for Bobbie), and some corn on the cob. Smoked that shit for over an hour, sipping rum-n-coke, eatin' macadamias and listening to Howlin' Wolf. That's a good time, y'all. Oh, I also got some potato salad from Von's. I got the mustard kind instead of the "classic" or "homestyle" or whatever, and it's a perfect compliment to a BBQ plate--tangy, but in a completely different direction from the spicy BBQ sauce. After dinner I was a little disappointed that I couldn't watch any DVD's, but a while back Brandie had bought the Indiana Jones box set on VHS at Amoeba for, like, $8, so we watched Raiders of the Lost Arc...perfect ending to a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home