Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Spittin' Wicked Randomness

I'm gonna spend the rest of my life working off the bad karma I've built up just from killing ants in the last week.

Friday was Brandie's birthday, so we took her out to lunch at Shogun, a Benihana-type Japanese steakhouse. Since our last visit, they've added a sound-effects board to the stove, so the cooks can punctuate their acts with cheesy, morning radio-style sound effects. After the "onion volcano" gag, they turn on a train sound and push the smoking stack across the gridle, while clanging with the spatula with their other hand to produce a railway crossing sound. There's a drumroll for the flipping of food into customer's mouths, a barking seal if they make it, and a foghorn if they miss. Hilarious.

I was looking something up on the NORML website, and saw a picture of Rick Steves, the host of PBS's Travels in Europe (a show I'm very much addicted to). He comes off a little square, so I investigated. He apparantly gave the keynote speach at this year's NORML convention. The transcript seems to have disapeared from the site (I'm positive I saw it on there), but I found it transposed here, and you can download the audio here. "First time I ever smoked was in Afghanistan. As a kid I didn't want peer pressure to make me do something my parents said I shouldn't. Over there it was just like going local. "When in Rome," you know; and when in Afghanistan, this is what you do. The bus stops and everybody stands around and watches a goat get slaughtered and passes around the bong." It's a great speach--even if he didn't mention pot, what he says about travel is great, and some of it has a beat-like sensibility:

I mean, you stand on the rooftop of your hotel and there's chariots going by, torchlit, and the lightbulbs are all breathing and people are eating soup with their hands and they don't drop a bit. And you travel on over to Nepal and you can look right into the eyes of the living virgin goddess the Kumari Deva, you've got these slow-motion beach attacks and everybody is going "namas dei, namas dei," I salute your virtues... and you write in your journal trying to catch all this stuff and you get home and you hardly remember where you were high and where you weren't.

Sleater-Kinney on Fresh Air!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home