Monday, October 24, 2005

Photos and weekend stuff

Friday night, I had a dream about buying records, so I woke up Saturday morning with an irresistable urge to go music shopping. I went to Amoeba and bought the Dangerdoom CD, the collaboration between MF Doom and Dangermouse. Most of the lyrics are about Adult Swim characters, and the voices of those characters appear in skits and samples throughout. It's fun, but not really great. Danger's beats are sort of hit-and-miss--about half of them are memorable. But some of the lyrics are truly great. The best track is "Space Ho's," Doom's dis track toward Space Ghost, demanding his own late-night talk show:

How they go an' give his own show to Tag Ghostal
When any given sec, he may go mad postal
Stay wavin' that power hand space cannon
Even talk bad up in the face of Race Bannon

I love that internal rhyme, "face of Race Bannon." Also...

And since when the way backs included Zorak
Play back to when he rubbed his thorax in Borax, floor wax

Awesome. I came close to getting the King Gheedora CD instead, but I decided I should get the new one. I also picked up The Funky 16 Corners compilation, and Brian Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets. The Eno album is amazing, kinda like the cool version of Bowie. I've gotten to like Bowie much better in recent years, but Eno is like everything good about glam-era Bowie, plus everything Bowie was missing.

When I got back, we cleaned up the back yard in anticipation of our Halloween party, then went to the pumpkin patch, and finally to Target for candy, decorations, and stuff. I got this great snow globe:



It's cool, but homey. I took the sticker off the back and tried to get a better picture, but none of them turned out as well as this. We also got a new bunch of Christmas lights to string around the back yard, but in the process of hanging them we cut down a bunch of vines and ultimately left the yard looking worse than it had looked before we cleaned it up.

There's this church in our neighborhood that always has these crazy non-sequitirs on the sign announcing the sermon. One of these days I'm going to have to go, just to find out what the hell these sermons are like.




One more. This is looking from where I lie on the bed. You can see through 4 doorways (one at right angle to the others), leading from the bedroom to the hallway, living room, dining room and kitchen. I don't think it came out as well as I was hoping, but you can see what I was going for. You can see my dog's tail at the bottom there.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home