Monday, November 07, 2005

Spittin' Wicked Randomness: Special Election Edition

We lead off today with The Greatest Story Ever Told.

This blog is now being fed to my college alumni website. I'm not sure what that means, but it probably means I'll be in trouble soon.

Today is the "special" (as in retarded) election. If you live in California, please vote. If nothing else, vote NO on prop 55, the anti-union bill. It's hilarious to me that they actually have the Orwellian nerve to call it the "Paycheck Protection" act. A union with political clout is the best paycheck protection, and it's completely dishonest to sell this bill as something that originated from union workers who don't want their dues to go to political campaigning (they can opt out anyway) rather than from the political enemies of the public employee unions.

Some of the ads for this election are incredibly entertaining. The other day, I saw one against prop 77 featuring Judge Wapner from The People's Court. It was so cheap, and the sound track was completely out of synch with the movements of his lips. I'm not sure why he would come out against prop 77. Maybe he's a retired judge and wants to be left alone. "If prop 77 passes, my fucking wife will insist on me being on the comittee. Please vote No on prop 77." Meanwhile, The Virgin Mary has endorsed prop 73:



I've actually changed my mind about Prop 74, the extension of Schoolteachers' probationary period (my wife helped talk me out of it). On the one hand, I do think it's reasonable to expect teachers to make some sacrifice to improve schools. After all, voters have voted in favor of every, single school bond that has been on the ballot since I've lived here. But if we're trying to attract the best and brightest to the field of public teaching, then telling them that they will have no sort of job security for the first 5 years of their employment seems pretty counter-productive. What really started me thinking, though, was an argument Bobbie heard from someone that they had been unable to get a teacher fired for showing R-rated movies to their class (which my niece's very good English teacher has done herself). That's when I realized that teachers will do their job much better when they are not afraid of being fired. Just ask Raif Esquith or John Taylor Gatto.

For city council, I'm voting for Nick Pacheco. He did the job for 4 years, during wich potholes got filled and streets got cleaned and Eagle Rock developed nicely. LA Weekly's endorsement of Jose Huizar seems rather bizzarre. It's one thing to take a leap of faith that an untested politician is going to follow through on his campaign promises, it's another thing entirely to assume he's going to do shit he hasn't even talked about.

Read this. I think this is one of the most clear expressions of why I am a liberal.

Nice interview with Sarah Silverman here, whose new concert film Jesus Is Magic opens on Friday. Also, The Comedians of Comedy, a concert/documentary film featuring Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Zach Galifianakis and Maria Bamford, will be at the Egyptian next Wednesday. Along with The Aristocrats, this is looking like a great year for standup at the movies.

Thanksgiving weekend, the Egyptian will be showing Jaques Tati's Playtime 7 times. Believe me when I say this film is deserving of being shown 7 times. Earlier this year, I went to see it as an afterthought (scheduling conflicts prevented me from seeing Sam Fuller's 40 Guns at the Aero earlier the same day), and was blown away. Sheer genius, probably one of my all-time top 10 films. Playtime will also show at The Aero, along with The Big Day (which I've never seen) and M. Hulot's Holiday (which is also genius).

I probably won't update the rest of the week, as Bobbie and I are going on a short vacation to Big Bear.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben MirĂ³ said...

Sounds like you guys did better than us (SHOCK!) -- election-wise. The reigning moniker on Kos is the "One-Term-inator".

11/10/2005 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home