Friday, November 18, 2005

What Religion Are The Religious Right?

I don't consider myself a Christian, but I was raised as one. In my Sunday school, we had to memorize the Ten Commandments, but we also had to memorize the Eight Beatitudes, and the 7 acts of mercy--you know, all that stuff about feeding the hungry, comforting the sick, visiting prisoners, and so on. These were things that Jesus actually said (at least according to the Bible). And it was an important foundation in my life for my morals and beliefs. To put it bluntly, there is no way I could have become anything BUT a liberal without rejecting wholesale the Christian values I was brought up with.

The religous right does not share these values. In fact, they don't seem to have ever encountered the actual teachings of Jesus. Just look at the Republican administration they support: today, they voted to gut $50 Billion from Medicaid, food stamps and subsidies for student loans in order to pay for a $60 Billion tax cut for the rich. They profess that allowing gay people to be married will cause the collapse of society, but they fight tooth and nail to preserve the right to torture people. This is the political philosophy they embrace: hate and violence is better than love, the rich and powerful are more deserving of help than the poor and powerless. The Religous Right may be religous, but they are not Christian. Judging from their actions, I would say that they are SATAN WORSHIPPERS.

I'm not even joking. The values that the religous right espouse are more in line with Satanism than Christianity. At the very least, they should start worshipping the Apostle Paul, since they seem to like his ideas much more than Jesus'.

OK, no more political rants. I promise all my posts next week will be about movies.

1 Comments:

Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Absolutely, positively right on target.

12/01/2005 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home