Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Resolutions and Goals, 2006

1. Get a part-time teaching job, like, soon. Be teaching full-time by year's end. I need to get out of this boring-ass job and get some income rolling in.

2. Sell 8-track and use the money to buy the software I need to create music on my computer (Acid and Sound Forge) (Seriously, anyone interested in buying a TEAC 8-track reel-to-reel recorder in working condition? I paid $1,000 for it in '96, and I'm looking for about $800 for it now). I seriously need to get back into the musicing game. Have 4 songs completed by...let's say by my birthday (May 27) (which is really a modest goal). I also want to participate in National Solo Album Month in November.

3. Bike to work whenever possible, bike on every day off (weather and schedule permitting).

4. Play guitar every day.

5. 3-5 pages of Finnegan's Wake per week. Finish at least 12 books this year (comics don't count).

6. Eat more Chinese food in the San Gabriel Valley. I'm 15 minutes (at most) away from the highest concentration of serious Chinese food this side of China, and I never take advantage of it. This must end.

7. Post in the blog at least 2-3 times a week (this is great for working my writing muscle. I've tried to keep journals before, but I've never been able to keep at it. Having it online motivates me to write more). Possibly figure out a way to make the blog more entertaining. And maybe put a cool graphic up top.

8. Smoke less pot.

9. Appointment TV only (as opposed to "let's see what's on").

10. Watch all of the History of Britain video series from Glendale Library.

11. Spend more time looking forward, less time looking back (you always have to have one abstract, esoteric one on there, right?).

12. 8 movies to force myself to watch in 2006: 8 1/2, Tokyo Story, Belle du Jour, Pather Panchali, Wild Strawberries (and rewatch The Seventh Seal), Children of Paradise, Rio Bravo, On the Waterfront, L'Aventura.

13. 5 things to do in L.A. in 2006: Drinks at Tiki Ti; Dinner at Renu Nakorn; Lunch at Clifton's Cafeteria; Mini Golf at the big course on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks; a movie at The Orpheum. I also need to give Gualaguetza a second try.

14. Records to acquire on vinyl: v/a - Posh Hits (original cover); Nip Drivers - Destroy Whitey EP; Geza X - You Goddamn Kids; Blight - The Dream is Dead 7".

I also want to say that I'll start working on a movie script, but the idea I have is so vague that I'm not sure I can really conjure it into reality. So I'm just going to leave the list where it is.

3 Comments:

Blogger George Merchan said...

Clifton's is still around? I heard they were closing down. At least, the one in West Covina is (or did).

They were pretty good too.

1/13/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

I think only the one downtown is left. They apparantly have some kind of woodsman theme, with stuffed forrest animals all over the place.

1/14/2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger George Merchan said...

That's funny. The one in West Covina didn't have a motif really, it just looked like it was stuck in 1980.

Still, good to know.

1/18/2006 1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home