Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Good Eats!

I've been doing a lot of eating out lately, and probably will be doing a lot more in the next week or so (as various groups seem to want to take me out to eat for my birthday). So a post about the delicious goodies I've been ingesting seems appropriate.

A taco truck has taken up residence around the corner from my house, and I tried it out friday night. I got one asada, one carnitas, and one pastor taco. Tasty tacos (a buck a piece), and a nice couple working the truck. Obviously, more convenient for me than for other people.

Saturday I had some errands to run in Hollywood, and I stopped for lunch at Dino's Burgers on Pico and Normandie, legendary for its chicken plate. For some reason, I was thinking that Pico was the next major street after Santa Monica, so it ended up being a longer detour than I planned on, but man was it worth it. For 4.25, you get half a chicken. It's got some sort of sauce or dry rub on it, bright orange/red, that looks like it will be really spicy, but isn't. It's grilled, and set on top of a pile of french fries, with a little container of cole slaw on the side. The chicken is good (although the breast was a little bit dry), but the fries are the shit! They've absorbed all the concentrated chicken drippings, so they taste like greasy singularities of chicken flavor.

Saturday night, we ended up back in Hollywood for some sort of Katrina benefit outside one of the studios at Hollywood and Gower. That was nice--sun dipping down, light fading, cool breeze in the air, historic studio and hotel signs visible over the walls, DJ spinning some mellow, funky grooves while the traffic buzzed by on Hollywood--living in this town can be pretty nice sometimes. They served some pulled-pork BBQ and baked beans, and actually some pretty good cornbread, which went pretty well with a cup of Newcastle.

Dino's Burgers
2575 W. Pico Blvd. (east of S. Normandie Ave.)
Los Angeles
(213) 380-3554

The taco truck...I think it's "Margarita's" or something, and is based out of Sun Valley, but it's parked out front of the church on Eagle Rock Blvd., just south of Yosemite, at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home