Tuesday, May 02, 2006

This and That

So we're in Target this weekend, and we walk past the patio section, and we stop to once again admire the bamboo "tiki bar" that we've been coveting for a while, and whadyaknow? It's on sale--$100 off! Well, how can we be expected to resist a bargain like that? So I drove the car home, took both seats out of the back of the van, drove back to Target and picked the thing up. Perfect price--cheap enough that we could convince ourselves we could afford it, expensive enough that I won't be able to blow off assembling it. It's going to look great in our back patio, already decorated with lots of bamboo.

I lost an ebay bid for a few paperbacks I was interested in (3 books from this series), finished reading Peter Bagge's Hate collection Buddy Does Seattle (Fucking amazing. I was especially tickled by the reference to Sam Kinison as the "straight male equivalent of Andrea Dworkin"), started John D. MacDonald's A Deadly Shade of Gold, got some new guitar strings. I watched Orson Welles' The Trial and taped Mr. Arkadin off of TCM. I thought I'd save myself having to shell out for the expensive Criterion DVD (let's face it, the idea of watching all three versions and comparing and contrasting sounds great, but in reality, I'm never gonna actually do it), but it ended up being the "Confidential Report" version, so I didn't watch it. I've been on a bit of an Orson Welles kick since watching the incredibly entertaining F for Fake last year.

I need to remember to start bringing my camera with me when I go out. Found myself in Santa Fe Springs this weekend, and there was this bowling alley with the grooviest retro-googie sign I've ever seen. People talk about the cool sign at the Mar Vista Bowl lanes, but this kicked it's ass! I'll get a photo if I ever go back there, but I'm rather hoping not to.

Randomness:

Space Squad 21: a scifi spoof featuring, among others, my friend Bran. No episodes up yet (hurry up, guys!), but some funny commercials. Keep an eye on it!

If you liked Funky Batman, you'll love Funky King Kong! Seriously, you know what I love about this song? Listen to the second verse: it perfectly describes the action from the famous T-Rex fight in the original film, right down to Kong playing with the jaw! Also, check out the theme from The Green Slime.

Patt Morrison has a conversation about that Net Neutrality bill, complete with the usual convoluted explanations of how the free market will make everything better. It's amazing how people can spew such bullshit with a straight face, but I think James Gattusso of the Heritage Foundation gets his ass handed to him here. (I also liked the piece on the Downtown Library fire)

Even more amazing to me is that the Democrats can't come up with an explanation of how the estate tax, a tax which only effects people with millions of dollars of accumulated wealth who are already dead sound like a good idea! Taylor Lincoln explains the who and how behind it to Ian Masters.

And Stephen Colbert is a hero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home