Thursday, July 20, 2006

Top 10 Summertime Movies

This is difficult for the same reason it's hard to list summertime albums: any good movie is a good summertime movie, right? I mean, not really, but any movie that could be called a "popcorn movie" (Aliens, Road Warrior, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Spider-Man), a "drive-in movie" (Faster Pussycat, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Caged Heat, Master of the Flying Guillotine), or a "road trip movie" (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure) is automatically eligible, and anything that takes place in a hot, sweaty place, especially if it's got sex in it (I came close to including Angel Heart). Then there's those summercamp movies like Meatballs and Friday the 13th. Jaws seems like it should be on everyone's list: it's a big, summer blockbuster, takes place on the beach over the 4th of July weekend, and it's a great film (I usually find myself watching it on AMC on the morning of the 4th), but...I dunno, consider that an honorable mention. I did pick a horror movie that takes place on the 4th. 1776 is another good 4th of July movie. Great movies to watch on 4th of July could almost be another list.

Anyway, The List:

1. Dazed and Confused
2. Star Wars
3. Do The Right Thing
4. The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
5. Wet Hot American Summer
6. Y Tu Mama, Tambien
7. M. Hulot's Holiday
8. Return of the Living Dead
9. Bikini Beach
10. Night of the Iguana

I'm not going to write anything about them now. Instead, this will be my project for the rest of the summer. I'll be posting stuff on Dazed, Do the Right Thing, Y tu Mama and Hulot, and possibly getting into some of the others (probably not Star Wars or Sinbad).

1 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great list ... Do the Right Thing would definitely be right at the top of my list, and I just love Y Tu Mama Tambien more than words can express

7/21/2006 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home