Thursday, October 05, 2006

Radnom Nonsense

Review of Shortbus is up at La Vida Fake. Tough nut to crack. I mean, if I wanted to just write a hype piece on it, I know exactly what I'd say, but it's a hard movie to talk about seriously. So I eventually just went with a FAQ format, which made things easier. It was showing at The Egyptian as part of Outfest Wednesdays, where they show queer films every week, so the audience was about 150 gay men, a dozen or so lesbians, and me. And this group of guys sat down next to me, and didn't leave a safety seat between us, even though there was plenty of room. But hey, I'm not homophobic or nothin'. I mean, I didn't get up and move. I could have moved, you know. But I'm perfectly comfortable with my sexuality.

Speaking of gay, are you reading Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule? (OK, I jumped ahead a little, but bear with me) You should be. It's a great blog. Just look at what this guy articulated about The Black Dahlia compared to my lame review. Anyway, in responding to one of the movie quizes he occasionally posts, I made a comment about the homoerotic nature of Jackass (which is way past subtext, man...that film is GAY!GAY!GAY!), which he ran with in his disection of Jackass Number Two. And you know me, I just love attention of any kind, so I'm giving him a shoutout.

Check this out! Starting next Friday (the 13th! Of October no less!) TCM has a new program called TCM Underground, showing late-night double features of cult films hosted by Rob Zombie! Kicks off with Plan 9 from Outer Space and Bride of the Monster! I've never seen Bride of the Monster. Even though I'm not that big on Ed Wood these days, I'll tune in just to hear what Zombie has to say about it. He's a lame musician, a pretty good director, but a hell of a lot of fun to listen to ranting about movies. Better yet, next week it's Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and Mudhoney! I guess I'd be more excited a few months ago, when I still hadn't seen Mudhoney, but still, that's pretty cool. And the next week, Night of the Living Dead and The Crazies. According to the Now Playing guide I picked up last night, future installments will include DePalma's Sisters, The Honeymoon Killers and The Conqueror Worm.
Also note that next Thursday, they'll be running the Dick Cavett Show with Groucho as a guest. I've been loving these old Cavett interviews they've been running (Bette Davis was great last night). And if you've never seen The Loved One, they're showing it Tuesday at 1 in the morning. Great movie.

I'd list some more stuff, but since Scott Roche is doing a TV horror guide every day through October on The Fake Life, you could just check that out.

I'm trying to get out of posting all the boring political stuff, but here's one I can't let go by: Germany is now looking to prosecute CIA officers for performing renditions on their soil, and other European countries are looking into the same option. Bob Baer (the ex-CIA agent whose books Syriana is based on) says agents are now quitting the CIA en masse because this shit isn't worth it anymore. Feeling secure?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home