Wednesday, November 08, 2006

AFI Fest and More

AFI Fest is in full swing, baby. Check out my reviews of the Korean creature feature The Host and the documentary on the international graffiti movement, Next: A Primer on Urban Painting. I had bought two tickets to The Host, then Bobbie realized she needed to be working on her thesis paper instead of going there, so I sold her ticket to someone in the rush line, and took the money to buy a ticket to Next. The Host was sold out and overflowing. There were about 7 people there for Next. Anyway, I already have my ticket to Pan's Labyrinth this Friday (Gawd, I'm psyched for that!), and I might catch a couple more this weekend. Thanks to TACO for pointing out Next. I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Elsewhere: NPR has a profile of New Yorker cartoonist and Addams Family creator Charles Addams, The Treatment has an awesome interview with Hedwig the Angry Inch and Shortbus writer/director John Cameron Mitchell.

Here's a great one! Alice Cooper's From the Inside is not a great album--I mean, I guess "I Wish I Was Born In Beverly Hills" and "Serious" are decent rock tunes, and "Millie and Billie" is a funny song--but it has possibly the coolest album cover of the 70's (the blogger in question disagrees with me--I'm more of a hard rock fan, don't really go in for the Bernie Taupin stuff). But the thing I'm most interested in is the comic book (Marvel Premiere #50) that came out with it. I remember this coming out, but I didn't know what Alice Cooper was at the time. I've been curious about it for years. Way Out Junk has a .pdf of it, and mp3's of the album. Also, this is too late, but OfficeNaps has some cool Halloween-themed 60's Garage Rock 45's. And this movie sounds cool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Millie and Billie" is the greatest song ever! It is the perfect combination of sappy and creepy. Case in point, "I liked your late husband Donald, but such torture his memory brings. All sliced up and sealed tight in baggies...guess love makes you do funny things". Ahh, love!

11/13/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home