Saturday, January 27, 2007

Spittin' Wicked Randomness, Vol. XVIII




Announcing the premiere of my new column at The Fake Life, The Digital Underground, wherein I spotlight DVD's from indie and micro distributors, beginning with a look at Other Cinema Digital. I'm pretty excited about this whole prospect, since this is exactly the kind of thing I want to write about. And of course, you should always Dowhatchalike. By the way, if anyone out there has any contacts in micromarket DVD game, be sure to send them my way.


I missed a great show the other night, forgetting that L.A. is a big enough place that even a band as obscure as Deerhoof (my current favoritest band in the whole, wide world) can sell a place out. And my current favoritest rapper, Busdriver, was opening! Aaaargh, the pain, even though I know that my agorophobia would probably have kept me away anyhow! But anyway, L.A. Weekly stories on Deerhoof and Busdriver as consolations. And Jonathan Gold waxes poetic (as only JG can) about black truffles at Bistro K, where I will never be able to afford a meal.

Chowhound, recently purchased by C-Net, has undergone some changes. There were problems with the switchover, and people responded with typical internet hysteria (MAROON CAUSES ME PHYSICAL PAIN!!!). But the good news is that Jim Leff apparantly got enough money fromt the sale to go on an endless chowhound roadtrip. I'm catching up on his daily blogging now, and it's amazing. Of particular interest to BBQ hounds is the revelation of the best way to order Carolina Q ("outside brown"), and a great entry entitled The Greatest (Chowhounding) Story Ever Told. He's stuck some mp3 podcast files in there that are great listening--be sure to check out the one in that post about the Family Diner!

Meanwhile, on the boards, a gigantic discussion of The Best Mexican Food in L.A. (which, as I note, is like trying to settle on the Best Square-Inch of Salma Hayek). And on the Tiki Central board, a discussion of The Lucite Wall at Kelso's, a defunct L.A. eatery that sounds like it must have been a truly amazing place.

Damn, there's a lot of good sites for mp3's of old punk records! Last Days of Man on Earth posted the first Flipside Vinyl Fanzine, with great tracks from my favorite Flordia bands, F and Gay Cowboys in Bondage, then followed it up with Code of Honor's Beware the Savage Jaw LP. KBD Records has The Rhythm Pigs' amazing An American Activity 7" (this is an older post, but I just found it, and the mp3's are still up--it has "Radio Silence," one of my favorite punk tunes), and 7" Punk constantly kicks ass, with records by The Dickies, Channel 3, Bad Brains, and this mid-70's oddity. Meanhwile, Vinyl Mine severely disses my favorite Meatmen album.

Who's your favorite Black Flag singer: Keith, Chavo, Dez or Henry? (Survey says...Dez!)

Super Soul Brother!

Plasticland, another great fake-60's album from the 80's (goes great with the Dukes of the Stratosphere EP). (EDIT: damn, turns out that's not the Plasticland album I thought it was, and not as good, either.)

Guillermo Del Toro on Fresh Air. One of the best interviews I've heard from him. "Some people accept Jesus into their heart. I accepted Godzilla into my heart."

The Dresden Dolls on NPR.

Bush and the Sanctity of Human Life.

God Hates Fags: The Video. (EDIT: more info here.)

Papercraft Fun: Beginners here, intermediate here, here and here, advanced here! Hours of fun!

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

I'm really liking TDU. Great stuff, man.

1/28/2007 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home