Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday YouTube: Movie Trailers!

First off, check out Bobbie's review of the new DVD release of Eddie Murphy: Delirious. And go vote for James Younan, StandUp Academy graduate, for Tonight Show correspondent.

Went to the PCC Swap Meet last Sunday, and scored some nice records: the first Fetchin' Bones, Chronic Town (still my favorite rem record), a Martin Denny record, the first Rodney on the ROQ compilation (although I made a rookie mistake and didn't check the vinyl first. It's pretty scratchy, especially on the first couple songs of side one, and not really worth $5), and, the big score, The Meatmen's Rock n Roll Juggernaut, which I'm happy to report is every bit as good as I remember it. Total price for all of the above: $20.

Back to the Rodney comp, it's got some good stuff, some of which I already have on vinyl and/or mp3's, but a few new things. The Klan doing a cover of The Seeds' "Pushin' Too Hard," not that good--they don't even incorporate the great lead guitar thingy that is the best feature of the original. The Nuns' "Wild"--pretty catchy Blondie sound-alike. The Adolescents' "Amoeba"--good song, but the record is scratchy. And it might sound too much like Social Distortion's "1945" (which is on the second Rodney comp). And at the end, a pretty funny version of "Is That All There Is?" by New York (with the song title listed as "Surprise" on the label).

This all started getting me a little frustrated, as there's this ever-widening divide between my digital collection and my analog collection. So I started reading the post O-Dub put up on SoulSides advising on how to digitize vinyl. And he lays it out as being pretty simple--all you need is this cable, which you can "Walk into any Radio Shack and they'll have one." Which, it turns out, is not actually true--it clearly says "web only" on the webpage. But I called Radio Shack and talked to The Guy about it. Turns out that chord is only about a foot long, so I'd need an extension chord, but then I'd be trying to plug a male end into another male end, so I'd need an adapter, and blah blah blah. So I fished around their website and found this, and placed the order, which ended up costing $20-something with shipping (only after I placed it did I notice that I could have had it shipped to the store for free). Anyway, so hopefully I should be digitizing my vinyl shortly.

Which started another thing--if I'm doing that, I'm seriously gonna need an ipod. I don't buy that many CD's these days, but I do download 4-6 albums from eMusic a month, plus a couple from the web, plus probably a dozen mp3's a week off of various blogs, plus checking out CD's from the Brand Library 15 at a time, many of which end up ripped to my computer. The whole process of burning CD's for all this stuff is getting ridiculous.

Simultaneously, as I was discussing the issue of the one-foot cable with Bobbie, she suggested a laptop. We egged each other on a bit, and the next thing we knew we were at Best Buy purchasing a laptop and a couple iPods. She got a 4g ipod nano in cute pink, I got a 30g ipod video in manly black (I didn't really need the video, but that was the only 30g they had in stock, and anyway, anytime you say "Oh, I don't need (x technology)," six months later you can't live without it. So yeah, I'm slowly easing into the 21st century.

Anyway, since I haven't posted anything else this week, I'll do another YouTube post. Some of my favorite movie trailers. They don't make 'em like this anymore.



I didn't think anything could be better than this movie, but the trailer might actually top it. Great music, too.



I like that the announcers in trailers used to be so enthusiastic. You never hear the trailer guy get all excited like this anymore.



I also like that so much of the information conveyed in the Enter the Dragon trailer is completely incorrect in the narrative of the movie. But who cares, right?



Elsewhere: I actually have a copy of this.

I saw this guy in an old Busby Berkeley movie on TCM a few weeks back, and was pretty intrigued. I'm happy that I now know his story.

The 30's were cooler than now. Jess Nevins schools us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home