Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Spittin' Wicked Randomness, Vol. XIX (is that how you write 19?)



If you haven't seen it yet, I've got a new installment of The Digital Underground up at The Fake Life, reviewing The Films of Kenneth Anger, Vol. 1 DVD. This one took longer than it should have, and it's not as in-depth as the last one, but I think I made some interesting points. I also posted a new installment of The Big Screen, covering revival screenings in L.A. over the next month (more on that in a moment).

The next two mondays (March 5 and 12), the current classes of StandUp Academy will be having their grad shows at The Ice House in Pasadena. Showtime is 8:00, Bobbie is the headliner, Sally Mullins (always hilarious) is the MC, and the class is strong. I'll be in the back working the video camera, so come by and say hey. Tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door, plus two drink minimum. Come on out!

In preparation for the upcoming release of Grindhouse, Quentin Tarantino is taking over the programming at The New Beverly Cinema throughout March and April! Two months of double- and triple-features of insane exploitation flicks! For years, I've been so jealous of Austin, where QT does his annual film festival. Reading the accounts on AICN of stuff like Wipeout, Brotherhood of Death and The Muthers just made me green with envy! Now I'll get to see all three!! And Hot Summer in Barefoot County, which Bobbie remembers seeing at the Drive-In as a child. Didn't you say that was the first movie you ever saw, baby? I've never seen Chinese Hercules, but having seen Enter the Dragon and Big Trouble in Little China, I can pretty much guess who the star is. I've listed a bunch of other cool L.A. events over the next month, including programs of Sirk, Verhoeven, Besson and Herzog, in my Fake Life piece. Check it out. Also, Dennis Cozallio has dug up movie posters for most of the films.

Tonight (or Friday morning), watch (or TiVo) The Front, starring Woody Allen, on TCM (1:30 am PST). A great, underseen comedy about the blacklists in Hollywood during the McCarthy hearings.

Note to self: I need to try this place as soon as the weather warms up.

Cool albums being shared:

The Flesheaters - A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die

Lester Bangs and the Delinquents - Jook Savages on the Brazos

Typical nonsense from the RIAA.

Sure, terrorists are bad, but they're not as dangerous as gays or unions. Let's keep some perspective here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just caught the tale end of THE FRONT. I always seem to only grab little snippets here and there. It seems great from the little I've seen. DVD was like $10 at Amazon 6 months ago. Now? $22! Grrr!

3/02/2007 3:14 AM  
Blogger New Texture said...

Thanks for the Flesh Eaters link.

Drop Rhino Records' website a line and demand they re-issue A MINUTE TO PRAY and the rest of the Flesh Eaters' Slash/Ruby material, as I think they control it now. They'd make great releases for Rhino Handmade, at the very least.

And you can read more of Chris D.'s work on

www.NewTexture.com

On MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/newtexture

3/08/2007 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home