Thursday, March 15, 2007

Spittin' Wicked Randomness, Vol. XX

(found here)

I set up a del.icio.us account, so if you're interested in what I've been browsing, you can just check it out, and I don't have to make these posts about what I've been browsing, which makes this post rather ironic, since that's what I'm going to do.

The boys at Cartoon Brew have set up Cartoon Brew Films, a site for quality, downloadable cartoons. Not free, but at $2 a pop it's more than reasonable. (For free 'toons, there's always ReFrederator.)


Exciting album shares this week:




Dean Elliot - Zounds! What Sounds! One of the greatest kooky albums ever made!


The Eat - God Punishes The Eat 7". Slightly less rare than the "Communist Radio"/"Catholic Love" single, but a classic Florida punk record.


I've been saying for a while that they ought to release the James Brown concert from Zaire that you see footage of in When We Were Kings on DVD. Obviously, they have the footage, so why not? Still not available, but here's the audio of the concert, and it's a killer. They open with "Payback," and Maceo does a great Coltrane-esque horn jam on "It's a Man's Man's Man's Man's World." And the band and backup singers perform a bit of The O'Jays' "Money" in the encore.
I've been listening to the Florida Rocks Again podcast. They play old 60's records (garage rock and stuff) from Florida, and songs about Florida, and they use the Butthole Surfers' "Movin' to Florida" as their opening music, which is cool. Seems the only way to subscribe to it is to subscribe to the Garage Punk feed, but I guess that's not such a bad thing.
I have a bunch of stuff I want to write about, including Terry Gilliam's Tideland, which is a much better film than anyone seems to realize, but I just don't have time. In particular, some political stuff, which I really don't have time to write, so here's a quick rundown of stuff I think you should read:
Glen Greenwald gives what I consider a pretty accurate description of the conservative "cult of contrived masculinity." Here's an example of this cult in action. And this...jeez, if you wrote this as satire, nobody would buy it.
I'm planning on catching the Sunday matinee of Brotherhood of Death (and possibly stay for the second feature of Johnny Tough) at the New Beverly. Anyone wants to join me, drop me a line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home