Saturday, May 12, 2007

Lights Out!



A couple great tracks from my all-time favorite punk rock album. Digitizing vinyl is such a time vaccum. And it gets compulsive. I can't stop.

I started by doing most of my hardcore records, along with a few random things that happened to be near the computer. After that, I found myself overwhelmed with the choice of what to do next, but ended up doing all my Ramones and Go-Go's records (the latter partially because Bobbie wanted some Go-Go's tunes for her ipod, partially because they just fit well with the season). Logically, from The Ramones, I could have gone on to the rest of my 70's punk: Sex Pistols, Clash, Television, Patti Smith, New York Dolls, etc. But I decided instead to start on Butthole Surfers and Rolling Stones. So far I've just got the first two Butthole EP's done.

It's fun rediscovering some great albums I hadn't listened to in a while. End of the Century has always been one of my favorite Ramones albums (probably second only to Rocket to Russia), but I like it even better now. Partially because I know a little bit about Phil Spector and the characteristics of his sound, which gives me more appreciation for a song like "Affected," which always seemed like almost a throwaway before. Great song. Used to bother me that it was the second song on the album--"Do You Remember Rock n Roll Radio" rocks so much, and has that great cold ending that it seemed to me would have been perfect to slip "Chinese Rocks" or something into--but it makes sense to me now. And the cover of "Baby I Love You" is pretty neat too. I'd always skipped over that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home