Friday, June 22, 2007

I'm Sleepy

My plan for tonight was to see Inland Empire, but I ended up staying home for two interrelated reasons. One, I'm just too damn sleepy to sit through a 3-hour nonlinear narrative, and Two, we got a new puppydog!



Her name is B.B. Or BeBe. We're not sure yet. So it seemed like a good opportunity to get some work done, and update the blog. So here's what's new...

My turntable broke. Just as I was about to start ripping all my Redd Kross records. A depressing development, to be sure. I think it's just a case of the belt getting stretched out, so maybe I can just replace the $10 belt and have it working again.

The worst part of it was trying to get the thing disconnected from the stereo to work on it. It's enclosed in an entertainment center with all the wires in the back, and the turntable on a sepertate shelf above the rest of the system. I really miss the bachelor days when the stereo just sat on the floor with the wires easily accessible. The funny thing was, as I was fiddling with all the wires, I found two huge RCA cables that weren't even hooked up to anything! They were just lying loose, tangled in with all the other cables.

At the last minute, I decided not to go see this, so we could check out Janeane Garofalo and Patton Oswalt at The Troubador. Bobbie posted a review on her forum, but I'll throw my two cents in. I was really digging Janeane's comedy back in the 90's. She had a great point of view that came through in everything she said, and I loved the free-form riffing she would do, free from the tyranny of setup-punch structure. In some ways, it was a version of what Bill Hicks had done, from a more female perspective, but didn't go over as well with the angry white males of comedy for the same reason. Thing is, as much as I enjoyed her stuff, I felt like it was going somewhere, like we were witnessing potential that hadn't been fulfilled yet. And then she just kinda disapeared from the scene, and I guess ended up on Air America. Sunday night, I was hoping that I'd see the fully formed results, with a political edge that had been sharpened by her radio work. Instead, I saw her stuck in the same place, and it started to feel less like she was the Ornette Coleman of comedy, and more like...I dunno, like she just wasn't putting any effort into it. I'm a little disapointed. I still see the potential, but I feel like I've been seeing potential for too long.

My favorite of Patton's bits:

"I'm to the point now where my nerdiness is getting in the way of my geekiness. Like, when people ask me what I'd do if I had a time machine, would I go see The Beatles play at The Cavern Club in front of 40 people? would I go find out who Jack the Ripper was? Now there's just one answer: I'd go back to 1996 and BEAT GEORGE LUCAS TO DEATH WITH A SHOVEL BEFORE HE COULD MAKE THE PREQUELS!"

He went on for a good 5 minutes about the prequels, but it probably wouldn't translate well to the printed word. Ask me and I'll do it for you.

Oh yeah, and last Saturday we went rollerskating with our friends Rachel and Robin at the...Starlight or Moonlight or something like that Skating Rink in Glendale. I'm a terrible skater, but it was pretty fun. They still play mostly 70's and 80's tunes--"Double-Dutch Bus," "Kung Fu Fighting," a bunch of other stuff nobody's heard in decades. I guess they figure nobody goes to the skating rink except to be nostalgic or ironic or something. At the end of the night we were all in pain, but all in different places, which I guess proves there are a lot of ways to skate wrong.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, the Moonlight Rollerway. Memories of gracefully smashing my face into hardwood.

7/03/2007 11:24 PM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

You've been there? Oh yeah, I guess you grew up in Glendale. You'll be happy to know that the playlist hasn't changed since last time you were there.

7/08/2007 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home