Wednesday, July 04, 2007

America: Why I Love Her



I ripped this record of John Wayne waxing rhapsodic about our country just before my turntable ate it, with the intention of posting it on The 4th. Unfortunately, when I was done, I realized that I had recorded it too loud and it ended up all distorted. So I'm just posting a couple of tracks. Well, since I already uploaded the album before I discovered the problems, if you want the whole thing it's here.

On this day I'm moved to reflect on the group of men we call "The Founding Fathers." They weren't a group with a single, uniting ideology. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Adams, Sam Adams, Thomas Payne and the others all had different ideas about what this country would be, what "liberty" and "democracy" meant, and those ideas somehow all fit together just right to make a working democracy (albeit one that is in need of constant improvement and revision over the course of it's history).

Then I think of the group of ghouls that got us in the mess we're in today. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove all had different agendas and ideologies, and somehow they all worked together to perfectly fuck this great country up. They're like the anti-founding fathers. But enough about them. Let's talk about The Good Things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home