Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Chicks With Mics: 08/02/07



This is going to be a hot show, with several of my favorite comics (and best friends) performing on one night in the Ice House Annex. Come on out!

Speaking of the Annex, last Thursday was a surreal experience, as I participated in The Dopest Show on Earth, a sort of pothead variety show. There was standup, there was music, and there was a gameshow, in which I was a contestant. The twist of this gameshow is that all the contestants were high. Because the host, Jeffrey Peterson, took us out to the parking lot and smoked a bowl with all of us. A strange experience, to be sure. Then there were three elimination rounds for the four contestants. First round was who could blow up a balloon fastest (I guess to see who had the strongest lungs from smoking pot?), second round was trivia questions (about pot-related movies and pop culture), third round was playing Operation. I got eliminated in the trivia round. It was clearly due to my cultural bias--both the questions I missed had to do with black foks (one on Next Friday, the other on Montel Williams, who I didn't realize was a big medical marijuana advocate).

Highlight of the night, for me, was the musical guest, Woody Woodstraw the Devil's Son-in-Law, aka John Norwood Fisher, aka founding member of the world's greatest party band, Fishbone! Bobbie did a shout-out to him on stage ("Could you have come up with a more difficult handsign?"), and he talked to us for a while after the show. So I was pretty starstruck.

Fisher's set was great. He played about four songs, some on a 5-string bass, others on an acoustic guitar (which he kinda played like a bass anyway), and did some funny storytelling between each, in character as The Devil's Son-in-Law. Ton's o' fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home