Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Spittin' Wicked Randomness, Vol. XXII

I love this photo.



My final contribution to The Fake Life: a look at the endings of Spike Lee movies (to fit in with the Best Endings theme), and some contribution to this Death of Cinema discussion. Remember, your comments are always welcome.


Last week's episode of KCRW's Good Food included Jonathan Gold's rundown of the best bacon dishes in L.A. To wit:




Hunan ham (bacon) stir-fried with hot peppers at Chuan Xiang Tower (227 W Valley Blvd #118A, 626-293-8653) in San Gabriel

house-cured guanciale (hog jowls cooked Roman-style) at Vincenti in Brentwood

sweet, thick and juicy Nueske bacon at Square One
in Silver Lake

"pig candy" (bacon baked in brown sugar) at Lou in Hollywood

bacon wrapped dates stuffed with Parmesan cheese at A.O.C. in Los Angeles


There's more detail if you listen to the podcast. Good stuff. On the opposite end of the appetizing spectrum, this week's show had a piece on Eyeball Tacos. God, I can't even think about that.

You know what other podcast I've been listening to? Writer's Almanac. From which I learned that yesterday was the birthday of both H.P. Lovecraft and Jacqueline Susann.

Name that film!

Kill Dill!

Danny Trejo's favorite taco!

When Andy met Steve!

Two DVD's I'm looking forward to: Gus Van Sant's debut Male Noche, and finally a complete Twin Peaks! God, I can't wait to watch Twin Peaks again.


Finally, respect for one of my favorite jazz musicians, possibly the greatest drummer of all time, Max Roach. When I learned he had died a couple days ago, I went sifting through my old cassettes to see if I could find this song I taped off the jazz show on WUOG, a live Max Roach recording that had someone keeping a steady afrorhythm on a cowbell or something, while Max improv'd all around the beat. But I've been periodically throwing out old tapes, and I guess an old cassette that just says "jazz tape" on it is an easy target. Instead, go to Locust Street and get acquainted with the man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home