Friday, September 07, 2007

Can We Just Admit That All Republicans Are Gay?

It's been fun watching yet another virulently anti-gay politician be uncovered as a closeted gay man, but is it really surprising? There's no reason based in logic to devote your life to publicly demeaning gays and actively working to deny gays their basic rights. The only reason I can think of to do this is to prove to the world that you are SO NOT GAY. Of course most of these homophobic Republicans are closeted gay men. What could be more obvious?

If you're looking for the blog that outed Larry Craig two years ago, it's here. And Craig's hilarious appearence on Hardball during the Clinton impeachment can be seen here.

************************************

Bought a lot of books over the last few weeks. First, a trip to the Out of the Closet thrift store in Pasadena to get some back-to-school fashions for Brandie, and they had a ton of decent books. I picked up a copies of The Illustrated Man, The Feminie Mystique (mostly just as a looks-good-on-the-bookshelf item), Pauline Kael's I Lost It At The Movies (excellent!), Niccholson Baker's Vox and my favorite, The Playboy Book of Party Games from around 1970. It's got a very cool, sexy cover, but I assumed it would have a bunch of sex games for swinger parties, maybe complicated variations on Spin The Bottle or something. Nope, mostly icebreaker games, drinking games and bar bets. Still, a cool thing to have.

Then, Brand Books had their big Labor Day sale, and I got John Waters' Shock Value, a Sandman TPB (Brief Lives--last time I was there I got Dream Country, so maybe I can slowly buy them all as I find them in used stores), The Re/Search: Incredibly Strange Music Issue (an amazing find! Worth it for the 20-page interview with The Cramps, in which they don't even discuss their own music, just talk about record collecting, alone!), plus a hardback copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (the only one I didn't own in hardback, so it was glaringly missing on my shelf) and a couple other things for Bobbie. Also got a couple cool records there--Nina Hagen's NunSexMonkRock and Thomas Dolby's The Flat Earth. Their record section is largely overlooked, and they have some great stuff for good prices. I almost bought a couple other collectables--they had a 12" of "Johnny Are You Queer?" and a couple records of J.R.R. Tolkien reading poems and songs of Middle Earth, all of which looked to be in good condition. I need to get my turntable fixed STAT.

I also recently picked up a used copy of a Marcella Hazan cookbook, and then my friends Rachel and Robyn gave me a late birthday present--or maybe it was a Labor Day present--Califonria Crazy & Beyond: Roadside Vernacular Architecture. So I guess I have enough to read for now.

**************************

And the random:

I just might check out this not-on-DVD Seijun Suzuki double feature at The Egyptian Sunday night.

PCL Linkdump kindly linked to the Hasil Adkins doc I posted on YouTube!

Jason Jenkins reports from the surreal Hello Kitty Puroland Theme Park! Complete with Animatronic Deficating Bears!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home