Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Harper Valley, USA

So I went home to eat lunch, and I turned on MSNBC for maybe 30 minutes, and saw not one, but TWO idiotic stories. First, this apparantly Fox is going to censor Kathy Griffin's acceptance speach (for Best Reality Show) from the Creative Arts Emmys broadcast.

"Kathy Griffin's offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night," the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement Monday.

In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"


OK, on MSNBC, they didn't mention the "off-color remark about Christ." If she said something like "Fuck that faggot Jesus, this award is my god now!" then I could understand them editing that. Still, statements like these are hyper-annoying:

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

Hate speech? Give me a break. Then there's this story about some girl being told to cover up on an airplane because her dress was too "revealing":

"The flight attendant came up to me and asked me if I had a sweater, and I said, 'No, because why would I pack a sweater in the heat?'" Qassim said. "So I asked her why, and she said I needed to cover up."

And amazingly, it's the second time this has happened in a week!

Just last Friday, a woman from San Diego told a similar story to the "Today" show. She said a Southwest Airlines flight attendant had also taken issue with the propriety of her attire.

Now, I have seen people dressed in ways that I would consider inappropriate, but they were showing video of her in the dress, and it was just a cute little cocktail dress. Add in the story about the High School Musical star who had to apologize for someone putting nude pictures of her on the web, and I have to ask, when did this country get taken over by the fucking Harper Valley PTA?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prudes. Fucking ridiculous.

9/11/2007 4:32 PM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

OK, update, what she actually said was "Suck it, Jesus," which is probably in bad taste, but is not in any way "hate speech". Just so silly.

9/12/2007 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww. "Suck it, Jesus" isn't as funny, but yeah, calling it hate speech is almost more ridiculously hyperbolic than calling Britney's VMA perf a "catastrophe" (or related synonyms).

9/12/2007 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home