Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What I Been Listening To



The Coup - "Head of State" from Pick a Bigger Weapon

That's not really the best song on the album, but it seemed like a fun one to share. These guys are great. Jello Biafra has a cameo.

Aesop Rock - "Citronella" from None Shall Pass

It would be pretty damn cool to sample The Residents' "Smelly Tongues" for a rap record. But how much cooler is it to sample Snakefinger's cover of The Residents' "Smelly Tongues"? Which I've actually always wanted to sample--it's a great beat.

The Fabulous Mark III - "Psycho" from the compilation Texas Funk

I got this album from the library, and it may be my favorite of the recent wave of funk comps. Not a lot of smooth soul-funk on here, just hard-edged beats, distorted guitars and nasty Hammond organs. The intro to this song sounds like something off the first Stooges album, and while that's the most extreme example on the comp, it's pretty representative of the sound. There's a track by DJ Shadow's favorite funk band, Mickey and the Soul Generation.


Now that I've gotten most of the old stuff I want off of emusic, I can download stuff that I just hear is good from people, even if it's not targeted to my particular taste. Case in point, this new Spoon album. It took me a couple listens to get into it, but it's pretty great stuff.

And my friend Bob's podcast-y thing. A great cross-section of vintage punk rock every week. I hope he keeps it up.

P.S. - Don't forget, tomorrow night, FREE COMEDY in the Ice House Annex! See Bobbie and Sally do their long sets!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home