Monday, April 28, 2008

The Rhythm Masters

First off: I posted the video of Chris Rock and Steven Wright doing each other's jokes on the Headliner Magazine blog. Check it out.

I also put a bunch of videos on YouTube this weekend, from movies that I TiVo'd off of TCM this month. This one is from Get Yourself a College Girl, which I've written about before. I think the opening scene was ripped off for Rock n Roll High School. Never heard of this band, The Rhythm Masters, but what a performance!



Some video from this movie was already up, from The Animals (twice), The Standells, and Stan Getz with Astrud Gilberto, but no Rhythm Masters. I also put the Jimmy Smith organ jam up there, since nobody had posted that either. Oh yeah, and check out the great title song!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this! That's my friend, George Barnes, playing clarinet and doing those amazing air splits. He will be totally jazzed that this is on YouTube. He's still hot, even though he's not 18 anymore!

4/30/2008 9:25 AM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

Wow. That's an amazing performance, and it's really too bad that they aren't more well-remembered. I'd love to know any more about the group (recordings, history, etc.). Here's what I wrote the first time I saw this movie, a couple years ago:

"But the true scene-stealers are a group I've never heard of, who seem to be straddling the rock-n-roll generation and the Vaudeville generation, the perfect act for The Ed Sullivan Show--The Rhythm Masters. They're a 7-piece band who play a sort of rocked-up Dixieland that wouldn't be that much of a stretch to compare to Squirrel Nut Zippers. They play their song with a LOT of energy, doing choreographed jumps around the stage like a British Invasion-era Fishbone. And then, when they finish the song, the whole band lines up and does a TAP DANCE."

4/30/2008 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home