Friday, July 04, 2008

Salvation Symphony

I don't have any special Happy Birthday America post prepared. Tomorrow morning I'm leaving to visit my family in Ft. Lauderdale for a few days. But here's something I want to leave with you.



I got the first "disc" of the three-disc version of Wattstax: The Living Word off emusic last week (I intend to get the other two discs over the next two months). This album is filled with amazing performances of funk, soul, blues, gospel and even some funky jazz, plus a speech by Jesse Jackson and some comedy from Richard Pryor. Half the stuff on here is not in the movie. But somehow, this piece is the one that's been killing me. It's called "Salvation Symphony," performed by Dale Warren and the Wattstax '72 Orchestra. I don't know where it plays in the movie--the opening credits are on YouTube, and it's not there. Maybe it's over the end credits, maybe it wasn't used, but man, what an amazing piece of music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home