Monday, November 10, 2008

Punk Single of the Week - Hose





Hose - Mobo
Hose - Girls/Zoo

Rick Rubin's punk band. This is the first thing ever released on Def Jam records! The A-side is a pretty cool Flipper rip-off, the B is a pair of noisy piss-takes. "Girls" is not the song on License to Ill, but then again, maybe the Beastie's were taking off on the idea. For some reason, I have it in my mind that "Zoo" is a Simon and Garfunkle song.

As you can see, the cool thing about this was that it (a) literally came in a brown paper bag, and (b) didn't have a label--they carved the song titles and artwork right into the vinyl (as was the custom prior to 1900)! I remember, after getting into the Beastie Boys, looking at this record and noticing Rick Rubin's name on the label and wondering if it was the same guy. I guess I didn't notice that it was on Def Jam! I also recall a Beastie Boys article in SPIN, where they were talking about their hardcore records. There was a line like, "Rubin was also in a punk band, but, Ad Rock points out, 'they sucked.'" Although I actually think this record is a hell of a lot better than Pollywog Stew.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great to see the etched vinyl again. I did it with the full knowledge it would wreck the master if I blew it...but that's punk rock, right?
--Irish Mike Cutlet

9/02/2010 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I've been searching for Zoo by Hose for ages. I heve it on a 25 year or what old cassette.

Any chance you could do a rip in 320 kbps? 80 almost sounds like my cassette, really :-)

Thanks in advance

11/24/2010 7:45 AM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

Sorry, it is what it is. Hopefully someone out there who is more audiophile than I am has a copy of the 7".

11/27/2010 11:35 AM  
Blogger sasha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4/15/2011 1:42 PM  
Blogger James said...

I scored this single at a WFMU record fair years ago..I also scored Rick Rubins first band THE PRICKS Lp..I had no idea who they were..Just loved the name

12/30/2011 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so almost like Flipper, I had to get a copy of the 7" and go see them.

At the show, the band had an entourage of about a dozen well-groomed, collegiate-looking guys and girls wearing Hose shirts. They played and were ok. It wasn't a rewarding disaster like a Flipper show. We never saw any of those people around after that.

Then Rick Rubin did Def Jam and MTV was all talking about him. And we were all like, "Oh no, it's that Hose guy."

11/10/2012 9:05 PM  
Blogger BLACK OPERATIONS said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6/04/2019 3:36 PM  
Blogger BLACK OPERATIONS said...

search 'mobo dance 1982 45rpm maxi' on youtibe to hear the original french disco track if this link doesn't work https://youtu.be/Qj-XAXVz6ZU

6/04/2019 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home