Friday, February 06, 2009

Your Monthly Political Post

Now that liberals are out of the defensive crouch, we can start being a little critical of each other again. And no better place to start than this stimulus package. Now, I'm not really against the package per se, but I'm a little alarmed at how completely it's being embraced by people on the left. I don't necessarily mean the package itself, but the idea that it's this huge, important thing that's going to save us all, and that Republicans, by delaying it, are causing massive wreckage to America.

I guess I'm beating around the bush a bit here, so here's what I'm getting at. I'm pretty much in favor of this bill. From what I can see, most of it is just shit we should have been spending money on over the last 20 years or so. But I don't think it's going to do much to improve the economy or get us out of this recession. I don't see any real evidence that it will. I do think it looks like a more effective method than the tax cuts Republicans want, but I worry that we're setting ourselves up for some major headaches if the economy doesn't turn around.

On the other hand, just from a political standpoint, I'm not sure what choice Obama has. If the economy doesn't turn around in the next two years, he's in for a world of pain, so it's in his best interest to put everything on the table. I just hope he knows what he's doing. The last time we trusted a president to know what he was doing with a project this big, it didn't work out so well.

Of course, having said all that, The Daily Show did some great work with this one:




And, this doesn't really have anything directly to do with the subject, but I just find it hilarious:



You hear people equate people like Limbaugh and Coulter with the looneys on the left, but can you imagine a situation where a democratic congressman would have to apologize to Michael Moore or Keith Olberman?

Don't worry, actual funny content coming this weekend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home