Friday, March 06, 2009

The Clock Is Ticking



Like every nerd in the world, I'm going to see Watchmen this weekend (probably tomorrow). I'm looking forward to it, but more than anything I'm looking forward to having it behind me. Not just this particular movie, but this whole cycle that began 10 years ago with the run up to The Phantom Menace, all these movies that I feel obligated to give a shit about because they're things that I really gave a shit about at some point in my childhood/adolescence. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, King Kong, all the major comic book films. You could probably even throw the Matrix and Kill Bill films in there. I'm just sick of it, sick of the whole pattern of anticipation, arguing about stupid shit like organic web-shooters on the internet, deciding whether to avoid spoilers, having to read Harry Knowles' inappropriate elipses, the whole stupid internet culture based around these movies--I'm just glad it's over. And it really does feel like this is it, this is the last movie of this cycle. There's no reason to really feel that way--I know there are plenty more Big Geek Properties coming out--but it does seem like none of them will be quite in the same league. Which is good.

We never did get Guillermo Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness, though, did we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home