Friday, April 24, 2009



It's ridiculous to even respond to the bullshit on Fox News, but since this one never got as much attention as the Beer Pong Herpes scare, I figure what the hell. The basic idea is that some professor may have done a study (it's not entirely clear, sounds more like a pissed off professor made a comment to this effect rather than any scientific study) that indicated that watching Mr. Rogers gives kids a sense of entitlement because he tells kids they're all special, which gave a whole generation of kids a big ego that makes them think they don't have to do anything. I'm sure most of us of the Mr. Rogers generation can relate. I remember the time my teacher tried to assign me homework, and I told her "I don't have to do jack shit, cuz I'm already King Fuck Dolemite of the Goddamn Universe. Mr. Rogers told me so!" Ah, simpler times.

The funny part? Most of the idiots on the show talking about it are from the generation that watched Mr. Rogers. So they know that what they're saying is bullshit, but who gives a fuck? It's Fox News! Or I should say, they know it didn't happen to them, but it must have happened to other kids. But not Asians. But that's not the point. The point is that I can't tell the difference between saying someone has value as a human being and saying they never have to do anything. Which is even more idiotic because, if you've ever watched any of these "positive message" kids' shows, you know that they spend a lot of time teaching lessons about how "practice makes perfect" and "quitters never win" and all that jazz. But that doesn't make a good story, because it doesn't say Kids Today Are Rotten Little Brats, which is always a popular chestnut.

Somewhere deep in the YouTube comments someone also starts going off on how Sesame Street fucks kids up because it makes them think that education is supposed to be fun. When you were watching Sesame Street, did you ever make any connection that what you were doing was being educated? I always just thought I was watching a fun kids' show, and the fact that I learned to read, count and spell from it was never even a conscious process. Enough of this. Mr. Rogers, do you have anything to say in your defense?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home