Monday, May 18, 2009

Stumpin' in the Crates - Jimmy Swaggart vs. The Kennedys





When Bobbie's grandmother died, we helped her dad get things ready for a garage sale. We got first pick of the stuff, of course, and ended up with a 70's yellow plastic ashtray, a weird lamp, and a zodiac wall hanging. I saw she had a record collection, and got excited. I was sure she would have some really cool vintage country albums, hardcore Grand Ole Opry shit, but no...every one of her records was something religious. All these records of preachers and evangelists. This one got my attention, though, and I had to take it just out of curiosity. I just couldn't imagine what sort of angle Swaggart was taking with that. I got it home, listened to it, and found that yes, God had cursed the Kennedy family, because Joseph Kennedy had made his fortune off of liquor. Having been raised a Catholic, this sounded positively insane, but when I started to tell some of my friends who had Southern Baptist upbringings that Jimmy Swaggart said there was a curse on the Kennedys, they immediately chimed in, "Oh yeah, because of the liquor." Apparantly, this is just common knowledge in Southern Baptist households.

I divided side one into two tracks, all the Kennedy stuff is in the second track. I left side 2 as one track, there's some interesting stuff on there (he mentions his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis).

5 Comments:

Blogger Muff Diver said...

I'd love to hear this recording and its so rare--good luck to anybody trying to find this anywhere!

Can you please repost the link?

Thanks!

11/29/2011 12:07 PM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

The link still works.

Instructions for download:

Follow the link to the download page. Click the download button, and it will make you wait 15 seconds while it tries to get you to join a subscription service. Just ignore all that stuff. After the countdown finishes, it will take you back to the page. Now click the “download” button again, and you will be able to download the file to your computer.

12/02/2011 9:38 AM  
Blogger Muff Diver said...

Chris, I appreciate your checking the link and offering instructions for the cognitively-impaired.

Unfortunately I still can't get the link to download for me. The instructions you typed are the same procedures I followed before, and once again, today.

The ad comes up. After so many seconds it retires, but no prompt for the download. So I click the link again, and the entire cycle continues all over.

I'm a patient kinda guy. This latest episode went on for a good five minutes.

Click. Ad appears. Ad finishes. Nothing happens.

Click. Ad appears. Ad finishes. Nothing happens.

Just to be innovative, I clicked on an alternate link thinking that maybe I'm being tested on hidden camera or something...

Still nothing.

This process continues another coupla minutes. Then I get the bright idea to right-click on the different link, and "save link as..."

NOT! Still got nothing.

I even tried a different browser. Being a MAC kinda guy, I got 3 browsers...Still nothin'!

Like I said, five minutes.

This is me, not feelin' the love ------> :( (and during the holiday season, no less)

Chris, once again I want to say that I do appreciate your trying to help me in my quest to hear the Swag Man in all of his tongue-blistering action.

That thought of the Swag Man going full speed at a torrid, tongue-blistering pace does sound kinda kinky, in which case I'd rather tune in to attractive wimmen folk wielding branding irons on Fundamentalist Fannies and not some Sausage Fest from within a Looosiana church). But I digress...

This Swag-man recording (and all kinds of other historic-type audio such as Cold War speeches, etc.) is something I'm very keen to hear. The Quest continues...

I'll try that link again in a few days before I give up completely and begin searching the www for an alternate recording.

Happy New Year!

g

ps -- whereinthehellis Eagle Rock, Ca?

cheers!

12/31/2011 10:46 PM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

Alright, it seems that DivShare is not working for this particular file. I'm trying to find the original so that I can upload it again. As soon as I can figure out where it is, I will upload it and let you know. Sorry for the inconvenience.

P.S. - Eagle Rock is a neighborhood in the northeast corner of Los Angeles. Nice little place.

1/05/2012 1:43 PM  
Blogger Muff Diver said...

I'll try to check back at least once a week for Jimmy Swaggart and other inneresting downloads.

Thanks for following up on this!

1/13/2012 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home