Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Songs of the Season, Part 11



(All-Time Greatest Summertime Hits Mixtape, Side 1, Track 2)

This one always felt to me like the platonic ideal of the summer song. I'm not sure why, but it's just so big, bouncy, joyful, jangly, wet and wild, all great summer songs combined into one: the Ramones drumbeat, the surf guitars, the giddy girl group vocals. It always brings to mind a big convertible full of girls on the way to the beach, laughing and giggling as they sip Slupees (or are they wine coolers?) with the radio cranked up loud (I guess this image is attributable to the video for "Our Lips Are Sealed"). I reckon it says something that I was absolutely nuts about this song when it came out, at a time when I basically listened to nothing but metal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home