Monday, August 17, 2009

Melvin Gibbs' Elevated Entity







Melvin Gibbs' Elevated Entity - Macumba

I heard about Melvin Gibbs' new album on NPR, so I had to come up with some sort of mnemonic device to remember his name. I pictured White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs looking somewhat uncomfortable as Melvin Van Peebles put his arm around his shoulder to pose for a photo. But then I forgot my mnemonic. Actually, I remembered Gibbs, but couldn't remember Melvin. Somehow, Bruce Gibbs sounded right, from wich I tried to reconstruct my mnemonic and ended up with Robert Gibbs turning into The Hulk, which started me laughing in public and looking crazy. But OK, the music. Hip hop based on various forms of African, Brazillian and Caribean percussion. Been linstening to it nonstop. I always wish there were more stuff like this, but I also sort of wish the songs were as strong as the concept. I think this record gets the sound more "right" than, say, MIA's' Kaya, but Kaya is lit up from inside by an intense and distinct personality, which informs every aspect of the music. Gibbs' music seems kind of faceles by comparison.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home