Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Happy Beatles Day!

I like that EW picked their top 5 worst Beatles songs, and didn't take it as an opportunity to beat up on "Revolution 9." I mean, it ain't "The Murder Mystery," but if "Revolution 9" were on a Velvet Underground album, everyone would be talking about what a genius Lou Reed was for coming up with it. I can get behind including "All You Need is Love," (not a fan of "Lucy in the Sky" or "Strawberry Fields," but AYNIL is surely the most annoying of their hippy songs), and "Dig It" (I can't even remember this song, but there's definitely some junk on Let It Be), but "Wild Honey Pie" is a pretty dumb choice. It's 1 minute long, and I like the way it works on the wacky first side of the White Album. I like "Don't Pass Me By," too, but I guess I can see where Ringo's vocals might not work for some folks on that one.

The other selection is "Flying," which is definitely one of the worst songs they ever recorded. But the silly melody provides a nice blank canvas for weird cover versions. Here's two of the weirdest bands I've ever heard taking stabs at it:

The Residents - Flying
Shockabilly - Flying

By the way, my top 5 Beatles tracks (hey, might as well): "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (just the perfect pop song), "Tomorrow Never Knows", "I Am the Walrus", "Come Together" and "Run For Your Life". I like that last one just because it's so funny to listen to a pop-y Beatles song about threatening to kill your girlfriend. "I Feel Fine" would be up there, too. And "Blackbird." And one of their early R&B covers I like a lot, "Bad Boy," although the only place I've ever heard that song is in one of their corny Beatles cartoons:



Bonus Track:

And here's the greatest interpretation of a Beatles song ever!

Doodles Weaver - Eleanor Rigby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home