Friday, February 26, 2010

It Came From Florida: Cliff Buckosh


Cliff Buckosh - Confusion Corner
Cliff Buckosh - I Wanna Be a Florida Cracker
Cliff Buckosh - Florida

When I was a kid, this guy used to come to Jensen Beach Elementary and play songs for us on his acoustic guitar. He had two songs: "Armadillo" and "The Dog That Bit Georgia's Nose." I think this happened twice over the time I was there. In 1979, he released a private press album of songs about Florida, some of them specifically about our hometown of Stuart. He gave a performance of these songs at Stuart Middle School, the last time I saw him.

A year or two ago, I was having an email conversation with my friend Bob about wacky private press Florida records, and I brought this guy up. I couldn't remember his name, "Mr. Buckox or something." Bob came right back with "Oh yeah, Cliff Buckosh." So I had a name. And after a year of searching, I finally found the album on ebay.

I'm not posting the whole album, but here are three highlights. "Confusion Corner" was the most famous song on the record, about Stuart's most heralded local landmark, a poorly planned intersection of eight roads and a railroad track. Over the years, this has been improved with a roundabout, so it's really not all that confusing anymore. Back in the day, there were T-shirts and everything. There's just not that much to be excited about in Stuart. I played this song on my recent visit with Zane and Jason on the Sonic Safari podcast.


"I Wanna Be a Florida Cracker" is the kind of song you just have to dance like Jethro Bodine to. Kinda nice, actually...all that time growing up, wishing I was black or something, here was a guy who actually envied my position as a native Floridian. Actually, in my suburban upbringing, I probably don't qualify as a "Florida Cracker," but maybe some of my kin in Okechobee do.

And finally, the tourist board ballad "Florida," with it's very specific references to my hometown ("Where the St. Lucie flows to the Indian River/Sailfish are jumping and sea turtle lay").

7 Comments:

Anonymous Mark Keahey said...

I am so glad I found your blog. I was born and raised in Stuart and used to have the 45 of Confusion Corner.
Best wishes to you and yours.

7/28/2011 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris! Wynsum Hatton here! Thanks for posting the Buckosh songs!

12/16/2011 4:34 PM  
Blogger Kraken Mermaid said...

Remember Cliff's song. My sister and I used to sing it.

My baby maybe crazy but I like her...

She’s just as tall as she is wide
I can love her standing up or lying on her side
My baby maybe crazy but I like her

...she drives a Copdeville
...she’s paying all my bills
my baby maybe crazy but I like her

-Wynsum

12/16/2011 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Stuart Heritage Museum (the Old Feed Store)at 161 Flagler Ave. the newest Christmas ornament and this one is 'Confusion Corner' along with its complete history.
Call (772) 220-4600 about getting one of these delightful ornaments while they are still available.

12/24/2011 4:10 PM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

Hi, Wynsum. I have the whole album. If you're interested in hearing it, you can email me (laflizard at yahoo dot com) and I'll send you the mp3's.

12/25/2011 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Mike @ Flip Over Records said...

I just purchased a record collection and in it found this interesting 10" picture sleeve with 2 7" 45s by Buckosh on Okeechobee Records. 1 45 and the sleeve are addressed to the owner and signed by Buckosh. I'd never heard of him so I searched and found this blog. Thanks for giving me something to help with my research.

4/23/2014 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cliff Buckosh was my 4th grade teacher and Confusion. Corner was played on the local am station WSTU.

6/01/2022 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home