Monday, September 20, 2010

Where the White Women At



Red is White, Blue is Black, Green is Asian, and Orange is Hispanic, and each dot is 25 people. Data from Census 2000.

Have you seen this map of L.A. showing the racial makeup of the city? This fascinates me for several reasons. My view of L.A. is that it's pretty much unsegregated. As I experience life in L.A., it seems to be a place where White, Latino and Asian (Armenian, too...they should really be on this map!) people are all living together and interacting. Sure, I know that there are large enclaves of Asians (San Gabriel Valley), Latinos (East L.A.) and Honkeys (West side), but it really feels like a melting pot. The exception is black folks, who are around, but seem to be in smaller numbers in my part of the city. Black segregation in the area broadly called South Central L.A. is a stubborn holdover from an earlier era.

But this map shows a much more segregated L.A. than I thought I lived in. At least until you compare it to Detroit, or Jacksonville, or even NYC.

The maps are from this guy, double hat tip to LA Taco and Obsidian Wings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home