Friday, April 15, 2011

90's Hit Parade #71



Primus - My Name is Mud

Primus are probably not the most hip band these days, since they're generally associated with the maligned genre of "funk metal" (perhaps inaccurate, but they do have that big, thumping bass right up front), and with the "jam rock" scene, AND are self-identified disciples of Rush, AND occasionally drop some juvenile humor ("Wynona's Big Brown Beaver"). That's basically the perfect formula to attract the hatred and derision of every indie hipster in North America. But they're a much weirder band then most folks'll give 'em credit for. Anyway, this is by far their best song. "My Name is Mud" is basically a character sketch. And that's it's strength: everything in this song is in service of character. The vocals and the music bolster the lyrics. It's like a little cartoon characiture (fuck you, spells check, I've tried like 20 ways to spell that word and you say they're all wrong so I'm just spelling it how I think it should be spelled!) of this murderous hick. You can just see the guy!

A couple of notes: first, I'm going on vacation this week (in fact, when this posts, I'll be on my way to the airport). I intended to do two of these ahead of time and program them to post next week, but I'm taking this online class, I'm sick, I'm getting ready for the trip and just fuck it. So expect no posts next week. I'll be back the following Tuesday with a band that will piss off more hipsters than Primus.

Second, a lot of people are doing themed music blogging (or tumblng) these days. Here's my favorite: Liz's 1001 albums. Most music blogs are, of course, by obsessive music geeks. Liz is not an obsessive music geek. She's the kind who never really listened to much music. Now she's going through a book called 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, listening to one a day and reviewing it. This is an amazing blog, because she has no context other than mass pop culture. For example, "Def Leppard is one of those bands that were the reason I started this project. I'd heard of them...they existed in my brain as "a band that exists" but couldn't, gun to my hand, tell you a damn thing about them. For all I knew, they were the best damn boy band this side of the Mississippi." So she's constantly having these revelations like "REM...did not know they were around in the early 80's. Learn something new everyday." It's also very cool because the book she's working from has both big pop hits and critically acclaimed cult albums. Her reactions to Captain Beefheart and Throbbing Gristle are hilarious. But it's also sometimes surprising: she surprises herself by enjoying Iron Maiden and Motorhead! I could say a lot more, but just look through the blog, it's one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a while. Anyway, here's some more Primus:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Liz said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your post made my day :)

Liz (of 1001 albums)

4/22/2011 9:54 AM  
Blogger Chris Oliver said...

Keep up the good work, Liz! Seriously, I'm enjoying your writing.

4/23/2011 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home