Friday, July 29, 2011

90's Hit Parade #43



Beastie Boys - Negotiation Limerick File

Before we begin, I'd like to point everyone toward a recent post at the Just One Song More tumblr, and in particular the song "Fol the Rol Lol" by Edward M. Favor (the mp3 is here, the text explaining it is here). Like our entry here, "Fol the Rol Lol" is composed entirely of limericks, so the Beasties are working in extremely old school mode here. I like the idea of building a rap song out of limericks. It sounds so natural, in fact, that if not for the title I doubt I'd have made the connection. But that gimmick isn't really why I include this song among my favorite Beasties tracks. I just love the sound of it. It's so warm and inviting, soulful and almost pastoral compared to the urban sound of most NYC hip hop. This actually gets the summertime sound better than Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince's classic "Summertime."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home