Tuesday, July 12, 2011

90's Hit Parade #48



Ween - Piss Up a Rope

Believe it or not, when I was working out this list, the hardest part was deciding which Ween song to use. They've got so many good ones! (I ended up getting it down to two.) I settled on this rowdy faux-country song in which a cartoon redneck kicks his good-fer-nothin' woman out the house and lets loose a misogynist tirade. The rant is hilarious for both its absurdly colorful profanity ("Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle," "You can wash my balls with a warm, wet rag") and its strange specificity ("I'm sick of your mouth and your 2% milk"). Like their spiritual forefathers the Butthole Surfers, Ween have no filter--their music travels directly from their subconscious to their mouths, although their lyrics are more clever and their muscianship more disciplined than the Buttholes. Track down a live version, though. The studio recording is marred by a completely inappropriate guitar solo.

A few other songs that I considered:















And of course, the big hit:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home