Thursday, January 31, 2008

Best of 2007 - Stuff



OK, still can't make a movie list, but I'm going to talk about my favorite stuff from 2007 that wasn't music, film or DVD.

30 Rock - Got off to a rocky start last year, but geek heartthrob Tina Fey's show has evolved into the best damn sitcom since Arrested Development.

Americone Dream - Ben & Jerry's Stephen Colbert-themed flavor isn't as luxuriously gooey as Wavy Gravy (still my favorite), nor can it substitue for Prozac as well as New York Super Fudge Chunk. But it's somehow the most perfect capturing of the All-American Ice Cream Cone taste.

HBO - The final episodes of The Sopranos were just the tip of the iceberg. There's Big Love, which is just as great in its own way. And the hilarious Flight of the Conchords. And the ever-reliable Real Time With Bill Maher. And great documentaries like I Am an Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA and John Landis' Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project. And I haven't even started watching The Wire yet (I have it in my Netflix)!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer "Season 8" - Yes, I'm a dork. I'm reading the Buffy comic. I'm excited to find out that Willow has a crush on Tina Fey. Just go ahead and take my lunch money.

Mango Lemonade from Trader Joe's - This is a great mixer. Add tequila, and you have something that tastes vaguely like a margarita. Add rum, and it's somewhere remotely in the neighborhood of a mai tai.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier - This is the geekiest thing ever. That is not hyperbole. LoEG is pretty close to TGTE in the first place, as it's basically a very complex piece of fanfic about 19th Century literary characters, but this takes it to a whole new level. There's a history of England written by a fictionalized Aleister Crowley that places Conan the Barbarian and Elric of Melnibone in the timeline. There's a story about Wooster and Jeeves encountering H.P. Lovecraft's Old Ones. There are perfect parodies of Shakespeare and Keuroack. And there's a 3-D section. Like I said, it is The Geekiest Thing Ever.
Penguin Martini Shaker and Tiki...er...Tobacco Dispenser - Every home should have one!
My Taco - I've been obsessively eating at this taco joint on York just east of Figueroa this year. The lamb tacos are amazing. But of course, leave it to Jonathan Gold to find the one thing I haven't tried there--the carne asada fries.
Oh yeah, and that Harry Potter book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home